Our client is a global contract research organisation who specialise in the discovery and development of novel small molecule drugs, they operate across various UK sites and also Europe and the US. They are currently experiencing rapid growth and as part of this growth they are recruiting a Research Assistant to support the growth of the drug discovery department. Reporting to the in vivo team leader, you will be responsible for the performance of in vivo biology experiments and associated tasks under the supervision of other senior staff.
- You will be experienced in all techniques and tools required for their assigned responsibilities within the given project.
- You will accurately follow protocol for the studies and experiments and adhere to compliance with regulatory requirement
- You will prepare in vivo studies e.g. preparation of materials, culture of micro-organisms according to defined objectives and agreed timelines.
- You will be responsible for the daily weighing and health assessment of animals, dissection, preparation and culture of in vivo materials as required, entry of data into database.
- Delivers experiments and data according to customer requirements and timelines.
- Performs procedures and experiments according to specific SOPs and protocols.
- Adheres to all guidelines regarding accurate documentation of lab experiments.
- Work across multiple functions, providing support for studies and experiments.
- Complies fully with the company safety policy and documentations in performing experiments.
Expertise & skills (not limited to):
- Enthusiastic, strong and flexible team player with a positive ‘go the extra mile’ outlook.
- Good organisational and time management skills.
- Ability to execute experiments in an effective and timely manner, reporting progress to senior scientist or project manager.
- Good attention to detail and excellent standards of data capture.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication as well as good organisational skills.
- Appropriate IT skills including routine use of MS Word, Excel, Outlook and other software packages.
- Highly adaptive and able to work effectively in a fast moving and high growth environment.
- Ability to work with a closely interactive team to deliver to tight timelines.
Education and Experience
- BSc (or higher/equivalent) in a life sciences discipline with relevant focus or equivalent relevant experience.
- Experience with animal handling, current or recent holder of UK Home Office Personal licence is essential.
- A background in or working knowledge of drug discovery would be preferred.
- Experience in a working microbiology laboratory environment, up to containment level 2, using range of methodologies, working with bacteria, fungi or viruses would be advantageous although not essential.
- Previous experience in the pharmaceutical industry or CRO environment would be advantageous although not essential.